This guest post was provided by Jason Grote, co-founder of I Buy Austin Houses.
If I had a dime for every time I heard the reply, “I want to do that someday” after I tell people I am a real estate investor, I could change my answer to “retired!” Currently, there is a lot of intrigue surrounding the occupation of being a real estate investor; yet, I want to demystify any illusive ideas and offer a realistic glimpse of what is truly involved. Read on for three steps to getting started in real estate investing.
- PICK A NICHE – Do some research online, attend a local real estate investment club meeting, immerse yourself in the R.E. world, and see what floats your boat BEFORE you make any grand decisions. Fix & flip, rentals, and multi-family are just a few different niches that you could potentially invest in.
- PEOPLE – Yes, your fellow man is your greatest resource! Connect yourself with seasoned investors in your niche. Also, connect with a local real estate agent that has experience working with investors. Most people in real estate love meeting new investors! Clothe yourself in humility and ask them if they would help you get started. You can most likely find someone that needs help and would exchange their invaluable wisdom for your leg work.
- JUST DO SOMETHING – It is strongly encouraged to do a good amount of research, but eventually, there has to be legs on your desires! There are many great resources on the internet for budding investors but the research phase can soon just become an eternal pursuit of knowledge. Don’t be afraid to fail or you will!
Follow these 3 simple steps and be assured that you will have officially begun real estate investing!
Jason Grote is the co-founder of I Buy Austin Houses in Austin. He buys houses in Austin and the surrounding areas, fixes them up, then hires a real estate agent to list the property on the open market who, hopefully, sells the home fast. Building relationships with solid real estate agents is invaluable. Realtors help with market research on potential investments, as well as finding those diamonds in the rough! Contact one of Realty Austin’s top-producing real estate agents today.
Author Bio Jason Grote, co-founder of http://www.IBuyAustinHouses.com, has been involved in real estate investing for 10 years. His family formed the company I Buy Austin Houses in 2006. Since then, Jason has been a full-time rehabber and marketing expert in the residential investment industry, selling over 50% of his properties within 10 days of market time. Through his experience, Jason has gained the expertise to sell a home fast and can also help owners looking to sell a house for cash or stop foreclosure. Because of his initial struggle to enter the “flipping business,” Jason also enjoys working with and encouraging beginning real estate investors to “just do it!”
- Buying vs. Renting: What to do in 2011
- Realty Austin fastest growing Brokerage in Austin
- Hard Times for Appraisers