Austin Ranks #1 Best Place to Live in the US
Austin took over the #1 spot on U.S. News and World Reports 2017 edition of the 100 Best Places to Live in the U.S.A. rankings. After falling short at #2 behind Denver in 2016, this year the Austin metro area received an overall score of 7.8 while the mile-high Colorado city followed with a score of 7.5
The U.S. News report bases their rankings on U.S. Census Bureau’s statistics, FBI’s crime statistics, Department of Labor’s wage and economic data, which is categorized into these 5 indexes:
- Quality of Life Index – how satisfied residents are with their daily lives
- Job market Index – the strength of the job market
- Value Index – how comfortably the average resident can afford to live
- Desirability Index – whether or not people want to live there
- Net migration – whether people are moving to or away from there
Each category is analyzed using a methodology of weighting select preferences determined by what Americans believe are the most critical factors when considering making a move or relocation.
What Earns Austin the Top Spot?
Over 150+ people move to Austin every day making it one of the fastest-growing cities in the country for relocation. This booming population growth is one of the biggest factors making Austin the best place to live with desirability and net migration being its highest scoring categories. Although those are the highest scoring, according to Austin Business Journal, what put Austin over the top this year was growth in the median salary and continued improvement to the unemployment rate. Local Austin economist Angelos Angelou predicts that Austin will continue to see this growth in jobs and population but not at the same rates we’ve seen the last 5 years.
Interested in Making the Move?
Whether you’re an out-of-towner looking for a relocation specialist or a local Austinite, please reach out and let us know how we can help you with your real estate needs. As a member of Leading Real Estate Companies of the World®, we can help you make the move locally or relocate to the Best Places to Live in America.
- Austin Named 2nd Best City to Move to in U.S. News Rankings 2016
- 4 Reasons to Buy in Austin in 2017
- What Can you Buy Under $300,000 Around Austin?