Austin: The town that never gets bored. That’s our new motto for the most wonderful city on earth. Our friends at Texas Outsideknow why – Austin is filled with fantastic things to see and do all year long. From food festivals to bat watching, Austinites have got it made when it comes to exciting recreational activities. Now that winter has arrived it may seem that there’s not much to do, but the truth is that there is plenty of fun to be had indoors and out. Check out Texas Outside’s top 5 picks for fun winter activities.
- Sip Some Wine Did you know Texas is the third largest wine producer in the state, producing 4,100 tons each year? Take a short drive to 1 of the 24 wineries in Hill Country and spend an afternoon learning about authentic Texas wine. Many wineries offer tastings, demos, pairings, and tours free of charge or for affordable rates.
- Attend a Festival Whether it’s delicious food, the holidays or books, there’s always something to celebrate in Texas. The Austin area hosts many family-friendly events well into the winter months. Check out this great Festival Calendar and get moving!
- Hop a Train Hop aboard the Hill Country Flyer, Austin’s beloved stream train! The Austin Steam Train Association offers rides on The Hill Country Flyer and Bertram Flyer every weekend. They also offer a variety of themed train rides from kids’ rides to murder mystery dine-and-rides. All aboard!
- Climb Enchanted Rock Up for an outdoor adventure? Take a short drive to Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg, TX. In addition to offering a challenging climb (route maps & rules available at headquarters), the park offers hiking trails, campgrounds, and family friendly activities like bird watching and stargazing.
- Ride a Horse Up for an equestrian adventure? Bundle up and take a drive to Wimberly, Texas. Blue Streak Riding Stables and Flying M Ranch are two great places that offer horseback riding. Whatever your skill level, you’ll enjoy exploring the Hill Country on horse.
Want to learn more about exciting things to do in and around Austin? Also, learn more about the best attractions in Austin on our Things to Do in Austin page.